Why is it so difficult to blog on Wednesday? Since I made my first WIP Wednesday post I have been planning the second one. I've taken photos. I've finished a few WIPs. I even started something and then finished it - well, it was a hat so not so difficult. I think my WIP pile is diminishing. But I just cannot sit down on a Wednesday and write that blog. So I am starting today, Friday, and maybe on Wednesday I will have something to publish. Maybe!
I'm a slow learner. Over the years I have managed to write a few blogs. I have even managed to find a way to improve my blog - thank you MarsEdit. well, thank you Tony - he found it and installed it for me. (What are husbands for, after all, but to sort out one's computer problems!) However, he has yet to find the solution to my next want - how to click on a photo and have it enlarge. I saw that feature on several blogs last week (and at least one of them was Blogger) and I so want to be able to do that. Stop slacking Tony!
Then my next problem. Commenting on other blogs. Some are easy. Usually they are websites - Crochet Nirvana is one such. Click on comment, add a few details, and voilà, there you have it - comment! I think I managed to register with Wordpress… but then I didn't have an avatar. I want an avatar, I don't like that horrible avatar they give in place of a real one. So I gave up. Blogger is a different problem. Should be easy, shouldn't it. But my Blogger account is under a different name. I don't want to comment under that name. I daresay there is a way. Husband is being remarkable unhelpful on this one.
But I have learned to link. That's progress.
Now to start on the knitting. But where to start? Finished projects or WIPs? Well, I could start with the stash. I have several places where I keep my stash. They are all full. However, the two small cupboards behind the sofa are over-full. Open-the-door-and prepare-to-catch-whatever-falls-out full! When I started thinking of the Wednesday blog a few weeks ago I thought of the stash cupboards and, since it wasn't Wednesday, I thought I would start preparing by tidying the cupboard.
So here is the before:
After I had hauled out a few things:
And then this:
That was a few weeks ago. I only managed the one shelf but at least opening the door is no longer a major catastrophe. And… I frogged a couple of WIPs that were never going to become FOs.
This was the sleeve of a shrug I started to knit for a family friend. I loved the stitch pattern but didn't take into account how I was going to manage shaping. There was more - a second try with a different stitch pattern, sleeves done, body to armholes… and I just ground to a halt. So frogged it was.
A test knit that didn't happen. Too many problems to overcome. Shame.
And so to some finishing. This represents the final few days of the 2010 Advent KAL that I was working on. It now sits on the worktop in my new kitchen, adding brightness and colour. Love it. I added an icord edging to give it some strength.
The Just Right socks
And a little hat I knitted for my granddaughter:
She wasn't impressed and I think it will end up on her teddy. I tried to get it back for one of my other granddaughters but that wasn't going to happen.
As for WIPS, I have finally got the Jubilee Diamonds shawl out again, figured out where I was in the pattern and away I go again. I reckon I could get it finished in a couple of weeks if I keep at it.
I took that photo some time ago and am much further along than that now - five repeats of the central panel - only 15 more to go…
Yesterday I started another pair of socks:
I just couldn't resist when I saw a call for test knitters, especially when the designer was looking for someone to knit a large size. I'm using Colourmart Shetland for these but… I think the large is still going to be too small for Tony's feet. They'll fit DS3 so, dilemma - should I continue with this yarn and hope that the socks may fit DS1 - who I also want to knit socks for - or should I stop now and change to the Fyberspates navy tweed that I bought with DS3's socks in mind? I'll procrastinate and work on the Jubilee Shawl while I decide.
I've also started a baby blanket using Wendy Party. It isn't the easiest yarn to knit with. Plus, I don't have enough yarn. It will be impossible to frog. Do I continue and hope to find more yarn or do I abandon it as a lost cause. I really don't like lost causes.
There are some other little secrets hiding in corners but for now, I think that will do… except to say that progress has been made on the shawl and this is the current state of play with the socks
I had to have yet another go at Judy's Magic Cast On for these toe-up socks. Thanks to Cat Bordhi and YouTube, I succeeded and am delighted with the outcome. Current plan is to complete the first sock by the weekend. Current plan!!!
Oh, and some good news. The bride I didn't manage to knit the bolero for told me yesterday that she is pregnant. Yippee… another baby blanket. Maybe I shouldn't tell her about it until it is done...
For more WIP Wednesdays don't forget Tami's Amis.